Monday 22 April 2024

Vancouver Island trip

 Vancouver Island tour

I went to Vancouver Island for a couple of theatre shows on the weekend.
Headed over on an early ferry, so I could grab some caches, before heading to the Port theatre in Nanaimo.
Was able to grab a Puzzle cache, a Multi, 2 Virtuals and 2 Traditional caches.





In Nanaimo I also completed 2 Adventure labs and started 2 others

Had a great show that evening in front of about 450 people.

The next morning I got up early and headed down island caching along the way.












Grabbed a cool one that had me looking for a bit in Duncan area that was taped to a stick and hung in the tree as you can see in the picture. (Click on the pic to enlarge)

Ended up getting 2 puzzles, 1 Letterbox cache and 3 traditional's on the way to Victoria.












In Victoria I got 1 Virtual and completed 2 Adventure labs BUT, I also got to walk down memory lane as I was going to be performing this evening at the "McPherson Playhouse"
Way back in 2006 a Magician named Tony Eng from Victoria who owned Tony's Trick and Joke shop contacted me and said I should compete in the upcoming competition called the "Pro Challenge" at the P.C.A.M. Convention being held in Victoria. 

NOTE: The highlighted or underlined words in my blog can be clicked on as they are links to other cool stuff!! Also if you click on any of the pictures they become bigger!!!

I got my start in Magic back in 1993, and I had never competed in Magic competitions before, even though many magician friends said I should, as I never felt the need to prove anything.




I took up Tony's offer and decided to put together a 10 minute routine to compete with. I submitted video of my routine to the PCAM Committee and was chosen to compete. They only allow 6 acts in the PRO-Challenge.













This was the same stage I Competed on for the very first time in my Magic career, back in 2006.











Tony Eng has since passed on, but his memory lives on in all the magicians he helped during his career. 


While I was in Victoria, I went down to "Fan Tan Alley" to look at the exhibit in the Chinese Canadian Museum about Tony. And as luck would have it there was an Adventure Lab in Chinatown.





Tony was well known in Victoria and was the Self-proclaimed "Ambassador of Victoria"




He was very well known by magicians everywhere.











PS: On the right hand side of this webpage is where you can find my YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram, links. Please feel free to check them out and follow or subscribe!!!






The display at the Museum was awesome with lots of memorabilia from Tony's personal magic. 








Thanks to Tony for persuading me to compete in the PRO-Challenge that year against 5 other acts, and it was judged by audience vote. They sold tickets to the evening show and the theatre was sold out. The six acts, myself included performed in the first half of the show, and at intermission the audience cast there vote for who they felt was the best act. I was honored to come in second and receive the silver medal. I found out the next day I missed the Gold by only 2 votes.

I have since competed several other times over the years as you can see in this picture of my Living room.


All in all this weekend's trip was amazing, the weather was great, and I had some awesome crowd's to perform for and got to see some awesome stuff and also got to do some caching.

Issaquah Trip

Headed down to the states to do a corporate show.
I did a cool Virtual Cache called "Northwest Trolls: Jakob Two Trees" 

Apparently there are 6 different Trolls in the Pacific North West. Check them all out "HERE"

What I didn't realize when I was there, that there was 2 stages of an adventure Lab at this location. I gotta remember to look at that more often.







I want to make a trip down there just to find all these trolls now. lol





Next month I am off to Quesnel for a corporate show and have already made a list of caches for the trip, but more about that next month....


Well that's it for this month!!
Keep on caching!!
Chris Yuill
Magicman65

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vancouver Island trip

 Vancouver Island tour I went to Vancouver Island for a couple of theatre shows on the weekend. Headed over on an early ferry, so I could gr...