Friday 23 April 2021

Back to the Gold Country and Weekend caching

 Weekend caching


#Geocache4Michael
Grabbed this cool cache called Umpire Strikes Back to honor Michael Costello. He was an avid geocacher that was born with congenital heart disease. He used geocaching to get his heart stronger. 4 years ago he sadly passed away and on his birthday the world went geocaching for him.
His birthday is on March 19th. If you find a geocache on March 19th, I would encourage you to write #Geocache4Michael in your log, in honor of his memory.




Was out grabbing a few caches with Sansue, and saw a few cool things. Up above is an Insect Hotel, but not the Travel Bug type. lol 



Some caching between rain showers. We found 2 different long PVC pipe caches. One was set up vertical and you had to lower the cache down out of it and the other was on the ground horizontal.

Who would drag an old newspaper box into the woods....Oh, I guess a geocacher would to make a cool cache. lol

Easter Weekend

On Easter weekend the day after we did some "Fraser Valley Cache bash" caches, we went out between rain showers and grabbed several caches in the downtown and Gastown areas of Vancouver.
Sansue and I did several caches including an Earthcache called "Mottled Limestone" that was on the side of a building, and a cool Multi cache using a cool Art piece called "Line of Work"
Text-etched laminated wood elements reach out towards the water at an increasing angle and length like a wave, which compares the energy of a wave to the growing diversity and complexity of British Columbia's workforce.



PS: On the right hand side of this webpage is where you can find my YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram, links. Please feel free to check them out and follow or subscribe!!!

The big news last month was the Mars Rover landing. It was carrying a geocoin for that was part of the calibration system for the Watson Camera. All geocachers had a chance to log this once they took the calibration picture. At time of writing this, only 10 days after it was loggable, it has been logged 62,330 times. The picture above is The Mars Rover Trackable Souvenir. Got it for logging the Trackable code onboard the Rover. What a cool opportunity to log this from 219.88 Million Km's away!!


NOTE: The highlighted or underlined words in my blog can be clicked on as they are links to other cool stuff!! Also if you click on any of the pictures they become bigger to view better!!!


The Erratic

So as I wrote a couple of months ago, about wanting to publish an earthcache using an Erratic (A large rock or boulder that differs from the surrounding rock and is believed to have been brought from a distance by glacial action), and I had one already picked out to use and write about. 
I was given some info from a friend that reviews caches, and It turns out the reviewers' that review Earthcaches are not publishing Erratic's right now. I am told there are too many erratic earthcaches. Unless there is some unique geological lesson, chances are it won't be published. I have started looking at other areas to create an Earthcache. 
I have published 4 Earthcache's but 1 of them I had to archive as the signboard was taken down. Another I had archived as the signboard and the stairs leading down to "The Vanishing River" were destroyed. A friend went to look for it as it was a part of the Alice Lake loop. He suggested some new questions to ask and I was able to revive this important Earthcache. So as of right now I have 3 active Earthcaches, but I am considered a Platinum Level Earthchache Master according to the "Geological Society of America" as I have created four Earthcaches. This is one of the reasons I am looking at adding at least one more to my profile. Plus I enjoy doing earthcaches while traveling, so I would like to be a part of the advancement of more Earthcaches for those others to enjoy. 


Gold country caching

As you have seen from last months post, we are planning a trip to the Gold country to do some caching. We were planning to go sooner, but the weather got crappy. My list of caches went from starting at 95 to 143 caches last month during the initial planning, plus an additional list was added for caches in Hope, BC on the way back home. 71 of these caches are "Gold Country" caches.



I will write more about this in my next blog. Until then, Stay Safe, Wear your Mask, and Wash your Hands!!



Well that's it for this month,
Keep on caching!!
Chris Yuill
Magicman65


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vancouver Island trip

 Vancouver Island tour I went to Vancouver Island for a couple of theatre shows on the weekend. Headed over on an early ferry, so I could gr...