Sunday 2 August 2020

Adventure Labs, Kayak caching and upcoming Road Trip!!

Adventure Lab Caching

Went out to Fort Langley with Sansue one sunny Sunday to grab some caches, a wherigo, and to try and do our first Adventure Lab cache. I have never done one and was unsure how they worked as you will see as this story unfolds. We were working on the wherigo cache called "Fort Langley History Walk" and also tried to start the Lab Cache. We got to the first location, which was at the Langley Centennial Museum. It was closed and the lab cache app showed it was about 5 metres inside the building. I did everything I could to try to get close enough for it to tell me I was there. Could not!! Left there and headed to the next location. It too was in a building. They were open but wanted money to go in. Frustrated, we left and finished off the Wherigo and some other caches.
Fort Langley

This one was the final to the wherigo we did while at Fort Langley. Can you see it?

How about now??

We were headed back to my place and then thought we would stop by Lafarge Lake and try the Adventure Lab that is there. Frustrated still from the last one we arrived and headed to the first location. When we got close, I realized that there was a button that I had not seen earlier. It was asking me to "answer" I clicked it and it unlocked, and it gave me a question, even though I was not at 0 meters yet. I then realized the adventure labs are not like a wherigo where the question pops up when you are close to the spot. Obviously we could have done the one in Fort Langley. lol. Oh well, now I have a reason to return there some other time, as there is other caches I have not gotten also.
After completing the Lafarge Lake Adventure lab we went off and did another one on Commercial Drive in Vancouver, and we were able to also get a bonus cache for completing the Lab cache, and collecting all the clues.

NOTE: The highlighted or underlined words in my blog can be clicked on as they are links to other cool stuff!! Also if you click on any of the pictures they become bigger!!!


Lab Caches

Speaking of Adventure Lab caches, shortly after doing a couple and learning how they play, I received an email from Groundspeak saying I have been chosen by Geocaching HQ to create an Adventure Lab. How cool is that. Now I need to find some cool spots to set it up.


The Vanishing River Earthcache

Back in Sept. of 2011, I put out an Earthcache up around the Port Alice area, on Vancouver Island while I was up there working. The Description read:

One of the longest stretches of Karst in the world runs from Zeballos to Quatsino, which houses the Artlish River Caves (accessible by trail), Devils Bath, Eternal Fountain and The Vanishing River (all accessible via logging roads).
What Is Karst Topography?
Definition: Karst topography is a landscape shaped by the dissolution of a layer or layers of soluble bedrock, usually carbonate rock such as limestone or dolomite. Limestone caves are created through the dissolving of limestone bedrock in the phreatic zone. Sink holes, land bridges, caves, and reappearing rivers all make their home here due to a series of world class Karst systems caused by the erosion of limestone.

Some recent logs over the past while showed that the area that once was accessible by a nice wooden stairway leading down to a boardwalk with a signboard explaining the area was gone or destroyed from trees falling and aging.

The sign and boardwalk are no longer there.

I recently archived the Earthcache so no one gets hurt trying to find it. This is the second Earthcache of mine I have had to Archive. The other one was in Victoria at a trail leading to a beach, and was about Tsunami's but the signage was removed. The other 2, I have are still active. One is in the Yukon, which I set up, when I was up there working in Watson Lake, and the other is in Glacier National Park, and we will be stopping there on our way to Banff, so Sansue can check it out.

Burnaby Lake caches

Oliver and I went out to try out my inflatable Kayak and to also grab the caches in Burnaby Lake one Saturday afternoon.

It was a beautiful day out on the water. This was the first time to have my kayak in the water since buying it about a year ago.

All the caches are on wooden platforms out in the middle of the Lake. Easily accessible as long as you have a boat of some sort.



PS: On the right hand side of this webpage is where you can find my YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram, links. Please feel free to check them out and follow or subscribe!!!

Upcoming Road Trip

So we have been planning the road trip to Lake Louise, Banff, Edmonton, and Back thru Jasper, and I have been making a list of caches to potentially get during the trip. So far I have 115 caches in my list and 2 Adventure Labs as well. lol.
Not sure if we will get them all but we will do quite a few.



It doesn't matter if you go "that way", "There", "This Way", or "The Back way." All that matters is that you get the cache when you get there!!!


Well that's it for this month,
Keep on caching!!
Chris Yuill
Magicman65


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vancouver Island trip

 Vancouver Island tour I went to Vancouver Island for a couple of theatre shows on the weekend. Headed over on an early ferry, so I could gr...